Thursday, October 11, 2007

I have organizational skills...you just don't get my filing system!

I am messy.

There. I said it.

I am a messy worker.

My desk is a pile of papers and folders and half empty water bottles and pens with no ink and random items buried under the piles of paper and folders.

Don't believe me? Well, take a look:


That's just one half. Here is the second half:

It isn't that I try to be messy, but in the course of an average day I have about 6 seconds that can be devoted to cleaning up the chaos. I tend to use that time to go to the bathroom. Sue me.

Anyway, even thought I am not the neatest person on the planet I do want to point out for all the other recruiters out there that this is not the optimal desk situation. For one thing, if I get hit by a bus, it is unlikely anyone else will be able to decipher my unique filing method. Secondly, it can sometimes make for awkward pauses when a caller asks me a question and I am digging for the piece of paper I scribbled the answer on.

"Ummm...hang on a second...(nervous giggle)...I know it's here somewhere...(tick tock tick tock)...so...how's the weather? (dig dig shuffle shuffle)"

Not always the professional, sharp, prepared, ready-for-anything image most recruiters (me included) like to present to candidates and clients. As an example of a desk that is likely to produce needed documents quickly I present you with Exhibit A:

In my own defense I have to point out that all employee files and other documentation I am responsible for as the HR Director is very carefully filed in a legally compliant manner so all the auditors out there just back slowly away from your "ticket books."

The problem for me is the stacks of things I need to read, edit, review, call about, give to someone else, etc...those items tend to get stacked and stacked and stacked.

Last week my admin actually drove me from my desk and closed my door. When she let me back in my desk was spotless. It was beautiful and shiny and I think I actually heard angels weep. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a dang thing and in the 6 seconds I would normally use to go to the bathroom I managed to return it to the original, "threw up on itself" state it is normally in.

Not the most effective or efficient manner for me to operate and I strongly encourage all recruiters to develop a filing system, in/out system that works for them and try and keep their work space as clutter free as possible. I promise to try and practice what I preach.

I am sure my admin will thank me.

No comments: