Have I mentioned the job market stinks? Unless you have been living under an umbrella in Bali with a never-ending supply of fruity umbrella drinks I am certain you know the job market stinks. Getting an interview is incredibly tough right now, not to mention actually getting a job. CEOs are working at convenience stores, grown adults are working fast food and many, many people are working unemployment.
There have been a few articles lately that discuss the lengths candidates will go to in order to get noticed by a company or hiring manager. They camp out in the lobby, the send flowers with resumes attached, the stand out in the parking lot and pass out resumes and at least a hundred other non-traditional methods. The tough part is how many job seekers see these tactics used and are then confused as to what is really appropriate for their own job search. I figured it is about time for me to weigh in on the discussion.
Without further ado, here are some common questions and my humble opinion on each.
How the heck do I get my resume past their evil on-line application system?
This is a question I get a lot. In my current role we use a system that allows us to effectively track all of our applicants. As you can imagine, we get hundreds of them for each posting and keeping up with them all without that tool would be impossible. While these onlines systems are necessary in many cases, they do not replace the human element...thank the resume gods because I kind of like my job, thanks! What they do is tell us if a candidate meets the minimum qualifications of the job. The system can't tell me if you are a hard worker or if you have a great personality. It can only tell me you have X years of experience and a particular education level. The rest is up to me.
SO...what does that mean for the job seekers? It means to apply for what you are qualified for. If the position asks for a Bachelor's degree and you only have a high school diploma then don't apply. If the position asks for 5 years of marketing experience and you have 2 years of experience working in retail then don't apply. What ends up happening to the "chronic appliers" is the recruiter begins to recognize your name as soon as they see it and no longer takes you seriously. I need to know that my candidates have an understanding of their skills and they know what they are bringing to the table. And NO...owning a home computer does not, in fact, make you a Director of Information Technology.
How long do I wait until I follow up and HOW do I follow up?
This is a tricky one. Unfortunately, all the people out there in bunny suits have ruined it for the rest of the job seeking public. Recruiters and hiring managers are "hiding out" to avoid the onslaught of crazy. I can no longer answer the phone at my desk because of the volume of phone calls I get. And that is AFTER the front desk and the HR administrator screen as many as they can catch. I couldn't possibly answer every voicemail and email I get from candidates wanting an update.
I know what you are thinking. "But, Jayna. I apply to nine hundred places and never hear a single thing back. What else am I going to do but call or email them?" To that I say - GOOD POINT. Companies not responding to applications is one of my major pet peeves. I think it is incredibly inconsiderate; however, it is often a result of too many applications and not enough recruiters. **I must interject at this point that I respond in some way to every single applicant to every single job we have. Just didn't want anyone to start pointing and screaming "hypocrite." So, if you are left hanging and want to follow up you should do a couple of things.
First, don't apply on Monday and then call on Tuesday. Many companies post a position for a specific amount of time and don't begin reviewing resumes until the end of the posting period. I would suggest following up 3 days after the posting close date. If there is no posting close date then wait 5 days from the time you apply.
Second, you should call and ask the receptionist how best to get a status on your application. The front desk typically is a great source of such information. And BE NICE to the front desk. They are my first line of defense and if you are rude to them or lie to them or wear a bunny suit they let me know. And that? Moves your application to the very back of the pile.
So, what does all this mean?
1. Make sure your resume is impeccable. No spelling errors. No grammar or punctuation errors. You never know when that missing comma is going to be the straw that broke the recruiter's back.
2. Be sure you are applying for jobs you can actually do. If you aren't a nurse, don't apply to be a nurse. If you aren't a software developer, don't apply to be a software developer. These jobs, just to use two examples, take education and experience. While I am absolutely certain that you are, in fact, a very fast learner like your resume says; it doesn't make you qualified for the job.
3. Don't harass the recruiter, the front desk receptionist, random extensions throughout the building that you find on the automated directory or the human resources department. Follow up on your application professionally and with a bit of consideration that the person you are mentally throwing in front of a fast moving train is also a person who is probably buried under a mountain of resumes.
4. Don't show up and pretend to have an interview. Um...I have a calendar and if I scheduled you to come in I think I would know it. Also? The receptionist is pretty savvy and if you don't know who exactly to ask for she'll probably catch on that you are being less than truthful. One teensy, little career tip? Lying = bad.
This may not all be the best news for job seekers. This is no magic trick or shortcut or pill you can take. I know looking for work is frustrating and irritating and sometimes demeaning, but I promise you -- being professional, leaving the bunny suit, resume cake and balloon bouquet at home will pay off in the long run. You WILL find a job and those other guys? They'll just be a punch line in some recruiter's blog.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment